All international (non-EU) applicants are required to apply online at the International Student Office. The English track is listed as Materials Science and Engineering in the system.
The application for matriculation is open until September 30 every year for the upcoming winter term as well as until March 31 every year for the upcoming summer term. Applications have to include all required documents to be considered.
We strongly recommend international applicants to hand in their application earlier as the transfer to Germany takes some preparation, e.g. applying for a visa and finding a place to stay during your studies.
If you can prove excellent study results, you can apply for financial support within the scope of the Carl Zeiss Foundation Qualification Scholarship. Applications for the Carl Zeiss Foundation Qualification Scholarship are open from June 1 to September 15. Successful applicants are contacted by October 30 at the latest.
Please note that awarding of the scholarship is subject to acceptance into the Master's programme.
Please find more information about the application procedure here or click the button below.
Submit printed Application
At the end of your online application you will be asked to print your application documents and send them to the following address:
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
International Students Office (IStO)
You are required to enclose the following documents in your application:
- Copy of your Bachelor Degree Certificate
(if the Bachelor degree is not yet available at the closing date for applications but will be completed before the registration, candidates can apply with a preliminary transcript of records)
- Proof of basic knowledge in the area of studies or proof of a successful entrance examination
- Written declaration by the applicant as to whether he/she has definitively failed an examination required by the examination regulations in the Master's programme in Materials Science and Materials Engineering or a related course of study with essentially the same content or whether the right to take the examination no longer exists for other reasons
- Proof of English Language Proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum of 550 paper based test or 88 points internet based test
- or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band with a minimum of 6.5 an no section with less than 5.5.
Please send us a copy including the Test Report Form (TRF) number and we will confirm it with the IELTS Verification Service.
- It is possible to replace the TOEFL or IELTS test with a certificate of your university stating that you have completed your studies in English. The test is not necessary if your mother tongue is English or you have completed your former study program in English. In this case the official language of your former study program has to be mentioned on the final certificate, its supplement or the transcript of records.
- Chinese, Mongolian & Vietnamese Applicants: Please insert an APS certificate or hand it in the latest by March 31 (for summer term) or September 30 (for winter term).
If the certificates and the proof of English language proficiency are in German, you can hand them in in German.
You can check the status of your application in the application portal. You will be informed about your admission by the Students Office (Studierendenservice) with an official admission letter called 'Zulassungsbescheid'. The 'Zulassungsbescheid' will be available for download in the application portal.