Frequently Asked Questions

Admission requirements

What are the requirements for admission?

  • Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Material Science and Engineering
  • Minimum Knowledge and Minimum Achievements
  • Applicant has not ultimately failed in an required examination
  • Sufficient proficiency in English (B2), for the English track German language skills are recommended but not required

More elaborate information here.

How many credit points ECTS should I have?

You should have a Bachelor’s degree or an at least equivalent degree in the Bachelor’s Program of Materials Science and Engineering, which was reached within a standard period of studies of at least three years with a minimum of 180 ECTS.

I have not yet completed my Bachelor’s degree at the time of application. Can I still apply for a Master’s program?

Yes, you can apply with a provisional transcript (an official record of the courses you have taken and the grades received for each course), but the Bachelor’s diploma must be presented at enrolment.

What composes the „Minimum Knowledge and Minimum Achievements“?

Admission to the Master’s degree in Materials Science and Technology requires the proof that the applicant has skills in at least the following subjects acquired. These have to correspond be equivalent to the learning objectives, content and credit points according to the current module handbook for the Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Materials Technology at KIT:

  1. Metals and Material Physics 
  2. Ceramic
  3. Polymers 
  4. Functional Materials
  5. Higher Math 
  6. Technical Mechanics 
  7. Experimental Physics 
  8. Inorganic and Applied Chemistry

For further information, please refer to Article 6 of this document.

How do I know whether my previous studies are sufficient for the Master’s program application?

Once your application is received by the KIT, your application will be checked for completeness before being forwarded to the Admission´s committee. They check that the content of the studies you have submitted meet the requirements for a master’s program at KIT and then make a decision regarding the admission.

Sadly, we cannot pre-check your documents.

What do you mean by “failed in a required examination”?

This means, that if you have already irrevocable failed in a courses at another University and are now prohibited to take part in this course again, you are not eligible to apply for Materials Science and Engineering (MSc). If you have passed all your courses in your previous studies, then there is nothing to worry about. This is a legal requirement.

Do I need German AND English language skills?

For the English taught track, we only require English language skills.

What are the English language requirements?

Sufficient proficiency in the English language corresponding at least to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GER) or an equivalent level, as confirmed by one of the following internationally recognized tests, for example:

a. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with at least 550 points in the paper-based test or 88 points in the internet-based test, or

b. IELTS with a total result of at least 6.5 and no section being below 5.5

Applicants, who received their Bachelor’s degree in an English program or in English-speaking countries abroad, shall not require proof of proficiency in the English language. The official language of the program shall be indicated on the graduation certificate, its supplement, in the transcript of records, or in a corresponding confirmation by the university.

What is the average grade (Durchschnittsnote) I should hold from my Bachelor’s in order to apply?

Every student that fulfils the requirements mentioned above will be accepted for the studies. There is no minimal grade required.

What if I do not meet the requirements listed above?

Applicants who do not meet the admission requirements according to §6 of the admission regulations, can alternatively proof their suitability for this degree program by passing an entrance exam.

Applicants need to apply online for the entrance exam for Materials Science and Engineering (MSc) no later than 14 days prior to date the entrance test will be held.

Required Documents

Which documents do I have to include in my application?

  • Bachelor’s certificate
  • Transcript of Records
  • Evidence of fulfilment of the requirements for admission
  • Statement about failed examinations
  • Evidence of required language proficiency
  • Other documents that are asked for

For further information, please refer to Article 3 of this document.

Do my certificates need to be notarized?

No, ordinary copies of the documents in their original language and ordinary copies of the official translation will be sufficient for your application (exception: Chinese and Vietnamese applicants must submit their original APS). Your language certificate may also be submitted as an ordinary copy. If accepted, you will need to bring all original documents for enrolment.

Do I need to translate my credentials and certificates?

Yes, if they are not in German or English. A sworn translator must do the translation. Please enclose an ordinary copy of the official translation with your submitted application. The original will be needed for enrolment.

How old can my language certificate be at maximum?

The certificate will be accepted as long as it is not yet expired (as mentioned on the document itself or has no expiry date).

Application process

When do I have to apply?

Application for enrolment, inclusive of all documents required, shall be submitted to KIT by:

  • September 30 for the start of studies in the winter semester
  • March 31 for the start of studies in the summer semester

Where do I apply?

German applicants: KIT-Bewerberportal

International applicants: International Students Office

Is the application digital or do I have to send in any analogue documents?

At the end of your online application, you will be asked to print your application documents and send them to the following address:

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
International Students Office (IStO)
Adenauerring 2
76131 Karlsruhe/Germany

I made a mistake in my application for admission. Should I send in a new application form?

No, please send an email to the International Students Office, they can make the appropriate changes.

How do I know that I was accepted for the Materials Science and Engineering (MSc)?

You can check the status of your application in the application portal. The Students Office (Studierendenservice) will inform you about your admission with an official admission letter called 'Zulassungsbescheid'. The 'Zulassungsbescheid' will be available for download in the application portal. You will receive an email notification as soon as the outcome of your application is available on the application portal. Please do not email us to inquire after the status of your application.


Can I start my studies in the summer semester?

Yes, students can enrol for both the winter and the summer semester.

Can I attend the program online or in a hybrid manner?

For the Winter Semester 2021/22, it is currently planned that in-person teaching will resume, therefore attendance in Karlsruhe is required.

Are there any costs or fees?

The Materials Science and Engineering (MSc) is funded by the state of Baden-Württemberg and thus the MSc Program has no tuition fee for German/EU students and low tuition fees for non-EU students. The fees charged for EU Students are approx. 153.69 € (administrative contribution) and for Non-EU Students approx. 1,500 € (tuition fees) + 153.69 € (administrative contribution).

Due to the support by the Carl Zeiss Foundation, the HEiKA Graduate School on Functional Materials is in a position to offer qualification scholarships to outstanding MSc students.

For further information, please visit our website.

I couldn’t find an answer to my question, where can I get further information?

  • The International Students Office (IStO) provides a more profound list of FAQs.
  • A detailed description of the program can be found here.
  • The Statutes of Admission provide you with information regarding the application and admission
  • For personal advice on Carl Zeiss Foundation Carl Zeiss Foundation Qualification Scholarship please contact Stefanie Peer, for help regarding the application process, the application portal or admission please contact the International Students Office.