Please make sure that you fulfill the admission criteria for the Master's Program in Materials Science and Engineering before you apply (please see below).
The application for matriculation is open until September 30 every year for the upcoming winter term as well as until March 31 every year for the upcoming summer term. Applications have to include all required documents to be considered.
Candidates with outstanding study results may apply for the Carl Zeiss Foundation Qualification Stipend. Applications for the Qualification Scholarship are open between June 1 to September 15 (Winter Semester) and January 15 and March 31 (Summer Semester).
The application procedure varies depending on your country of origin:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent degree in the field of Materials Science and Engineering (or equivalent) with above average grades. The Bachelor degree has to be completed with a minimum of 180 ECTS points or within a regular period of study of at least three years (if the Bachelor degree has not yet been conferred by the closing date for applications, but will be completed before the registration, you can apply with a preliminary transcript of records).
- Knowledge in the following areas:
- Metals and Materials Physics (≥ 14 Credits/ECTS)
- Ceramics (≥ 12 Credits/ECTS)
- Polymers (≥ 6 Credits/ECTS)
- Functional Materials (≥ 10 Credits/ECTS)
- Higher Mathematics (≥ 21 Credits/ECTS)
- Technical Mechanics (≥ 13 Credits/ECTS)
- Experimental Physics (≥ 15 Credits/ECTS)
- Inorganic and Applied Chemistry (≥ 16 Credits/ECTS)
- English Language Proficiency (TOEFL iBT: 88 pts or more, IELTS: at least 6.5 overall and no section below 5.5)
If applicants do not exactly fulfill the skills described above, they may nevertheless be enrolled in the study program if they prove the skills required for the study program by passing a written entrance examination at KIT.
Aptitude assessment is based on the occupational profile of the profession(s) typically following the final goal and on qualifications corresponding to those that can be acquired in the Bachelor program Materials Science and Materials Engineering at KIT.
The entrance examination takes place at the end of the application phase of the summer or winter semester at KIT Campus South (Kaiserstr. 12, 76131 Karlsruhe). The Admissions Committee decides on the necessity of participation in the entrance examination on the basis of the previously submitted application documents. The registration for the entrance examination must be made in the online portal at least 14 days before the date of the entrance examination.
In order to provide proof of successful participation in the entrance examination, the applicant must not have passed more than four application procedures. One application procedure is the allocation of study places for a specific start of studies.